Residence permit is the most common way to have the legal right to enter and stay in Georgia. Residence Permit also authorizes a holder to invite another foreigner to Georgia. Residence permit may be temporary or permanent.
Types of residence permits in Georgia are following:
- Work residence permit is issued to persons coming to Georgia for entrepreneurial or labor activities as well as to freelancers;
- Study residence permit is issued to persons coming to Georgia to study at authorized educational institutions;
- Residence permit for family reunification is issued to family members of a foreigner holding a residence permit and/or person who has been granted a status of stateless person in Georgia. Family members include: a spouse, child, and a parent, also an underage or incapacitated person being fully dependent and/or being under their care (guardianship);
- Residence permit of a stateless person is issued to a person whose status of stateless person has been established in Georgia;
- Special residence permit is issued to a foreign citizen who, based on a reasonable doubt, might be a victim of human trafficking. Such instances are specified in the Law of Georgia on Combating human trafficking. A special residence permit is also issued to a foreign citizen who has written endorsement from a member of the government of Georgia, asking to issue a temporary residence permit to the person. it can also be issued to a foreigner subject to expulsion, after 5 years since he/ she was granted the right of temporary stay, and to the citizen of foreign country who has a status of Compatriot residing abroad;
- Temporary residence permit is issued to a foreigner, who according to the Law of Georgia on elimination of domestic Violence, Protection of and Support to its Victims, has been recognized as a victim of domestic violence;
- Short-term residence permit is issued to the person – and his/her family members – who, according to the rule established by Georgian legislation have the right to immovable property (except for agricultural land), with the market price above USD 35 000 equivalent in Gel.
- Investment permanent residence permit is issued to a foreign citizen who invested at least Gel 300 000 in Georgia. This provision is prescribed in the Law of Georgia on Promotion and Guarantees of investment. in such cases, residence permits are also issued to the investor’s family members, which include a spouse, underage dependent and/or fully dependent incapacitated person;
A foreigner legally staying in Georgia and having any of the above-listed residence permits, has the right to receive the other type of residence permit in case he/she meets the requirements set for receiving the latter.
For obtaining residency, one shall be submit together with application and identify document, proof of qualification for any of the above-mentioned grounds like audit report on value of property or investment, employment or corporate documents etc. The foreigners who possess residence permit have right to bring family members to Georgia and obtain residence permit for them. Permanent residence permit for foreigners can be obtained by investing at least 300 000 GEL in Georgia. Investor’s family members also receive permanent residence permit.
To make it simple. Temporary residency may be obtained through:
- Purchasing immovable property with minimum value of USD 35, 000; or
- Employment or holding shares in Georgian enterprises;
Permanent residency may be obtained through:
- Making investment with minimum value of GEL 300 000;or
- Holding temporary residency for at least 6 years;